Last week I found a delicious-looking recipe on this blog: http://marcelamatallana.com/2013/07/15/meatless-monday-recipe/ : Eggplant Cannelloni
It inspired me to make the recipe I am blogging about today with what I had available in my fridge / cupboard. It was the 1st time I made such thing and, you know, it takes a bit of practice to master a new recipe, so I’ll give my feedback as well.
125g soft goat cheese
half a can of chopped tomatoes (approx. 200g)
1 garlic clove
(If you have time to roast or steam a pepper, try adding one in the sauce for more flavour)
1st things 1st: Preheat your oven to 180 C (350F / Gas 4)
Start by making the sauce:
- Fry the shallots in 1 to 2 tbs of olive oil
- Add the chopped tomatoes, chopped basil leaves, crushed garlic and salt and pepper
- Cook for 5 minutes, then put to rest on the side
Then, the filling:
- Fry the onion in olive oil, until soft and lightly brown
- In a bowl, mix the cheese, onion, rosemary, and pepper together
Cook the courgettes:
- Slice the courgettes, about 3 to 5 mm thick
- Then, either spray them with olive oil and cook them on low heat in a pan or steam them until soft for a healthier version. Olive oil is the healthy oil, sure, but we’re using a lot of it here!
Finally, put about a tsp of filling at the end of each courgette slice and roll. Empty the bowl of sauce in a baking tray and add all the courgette rolls. Cook in the oven for maximum 15 mins and finish with the grill if you would like them to look nice and brown.
When serving, if you have a bit of filling left, why not crumble it all over the plate. Looks nice and if like me you love cheese, you can never have enough!
Feedback: The extra cheese filling mixed in the tomato sauce tasted really good but maybe I’m just a cheese addict! I will definitely try again with a red pepper and maybe some chilli pepper too next time. If you do make this recipe and add your own twist to it, I would love to know how it turned out!