It is possible, and not difficult to have a drink before dinner with kids, of quick preparation and keeping it healthy. Forget the crisps, the crisps of today are mixed nuts, tomato and melon skewers, and grapes!
Obviously, don’t give a skewer to a child under 5 years old! But you can give him each piece of fruit one by one. For older children, it’s a fun presentation, that they can help you make as well. My six year old nephew loved it. If yours doesn’t like tomatoes, make it melon and grapes, or plum and tomatoes, whatever fruits and veg they like.
About the nuts, as long as your kids aren’t allergic, it’s a great appetizer if you get natural ones, not grilled, nor salted. Each nut provides a different set of nutrients and we all should eat more! Nuts are good sources of protein, fibre, unsaturated fat and each provides its own vitamins and minerals:
- Cashew nuts contain potassium, iron and vitamin B-6
- Brazil nuts contain potassium, iron and magnesium
- Almonds contain potassium, calcium and magnesium
- Walnut also contain potassium, vitamin B-6, magnesium and iron
- (potassium = healthy salt)
Enjoy, and let me know what you made your skewers with! :-)