Hiding under the blanket with my cold, I found myself thinking about getting some chocolate, until I realised what I really wanted was to be warm and able to breathe through my nose again.
Enter Spicy Tomato Soup.
Needless to say I am feeling energy-less and lazy, but the thought of feeling better gave me the motivation to get up from the sofa and cook! It doesn’t take long and is easy to make. Plus, if like me you always have some carrots in the fridge and tomato passata in the cupboard, then you don’t even have to go shopping. It’s all in the house already!
- 500ml of tomato passata
- 3 carrots
- 2 shallots or 1 onion
- 2 to 3 cloves of garlic
- about a thumb wide of fresh red chilli pepper or a teaspoon of chilli powder
- half a teaspoon of turmeric
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- half a teaspoon of thyme and half a teaspoon of rosemary
- salt and pepper
- half a glass of water (to make the soup more liquid if you prefer it that way)
- Slice the shallots and carrots and fry in a saucepan in olive oil until shallots are soft.
- Add in the tomato passata, garlic, turmeric and finely chopped chilli.
- Give it a good stir and add in the thyme and rosemary.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add water if needed.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 20 minutes for the flavours to develop.
The chilli helped me breathe, it worked! Now, off to bed for some deep sleep. Hoping to feel better tomorrow.